Senior Hardware Engineer - Cyber Security
- Newport, Wales
- Competitive + benefits
- Job Type
- Security Architect, Security Engineer, Security Cleared
- Employer Sector
- Automotive & Aviation, Engineering & Electronics, Logistics & Transport, Production, Manufacturing & Operations
- Contract Type
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Airbus Cyber Security is a European specialist in cyber security. Our mission is to protect governments, military and essential national infrastructure enterprises from cyber threats.
We are over 700 experts based across our main locations in France, Germany and the UK, each with a Security Operating Centre, we also operate in the US and the Middle East.
We provide a global cyber defence approach that aims to protect, detect and respond to cyber threats with a portfolio including managed security services, industrial control system offerings, encryption, key management and consultancy services.
Our goal: Protect our customers and support their needs with cyber security products.
We are passionate about cyber security. If you share our passion, we want to speak with you.
A vacancy for a Senior Hardware Engineer - Digital Electronics has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Newport. The successful applicant will join the Cyber Security Hardware Engineering department.
Reporting directly to the Head of Hardware Engineering for executing allocated electronics hardware design work packages within agreed cost, time and quality constraints.
You will be responsible for specifying, performing and documenting electronics hardware design for allocated elements of the product design architecture, by:
- Specifying hardware architectures and solutions to problem statements.
- Performing in-house electronics design for allocated area of responsibility.
- Adequately documenting the design for allocated area of responsibility.
- Controlling and reviewing work of the members of their team (where a team exists)
You will resolve clearly defined problem statements into design solutions typically up to 6 months in duration.
Tasks & accountabilities
You will need to ensure that:
- Electronics hardware is designed, developed, integrated and tested in accordance with Airbus standards; all supporting documents are produced in accordance with Airbus standards.
- Appropriate processes, tools and methodologies are used to design and deliver allocated electronics hardware development work packages meeting cost, time and quality targets, agreed with the engineering team leader.
- Electronics hardware technical design decisions are made within the context of known practices, established precedents and acquired technical expertise.
- The cost/benefits of design possibilities are understood, enabling appropriate judgement calls to be made.
- Electronics hardware development plans can be estimated in detail, and resource requirements can be allocated against plans.
- The provision of technical guidance to fellow team members in electronics hardware development tools and methodologies.
- Success of both internal and external design reviews and project reviews throughout the development lifecycle.
- The support of the design and development of critical components where decisions have a significant impact on project timescales.
- Customer liaison, by representing Airbus on project related technical matters at stakeholder meetings.
- Design and development by taking a technical role as a Prime on a critical component where required.
The successful applicant will have the following skills and experience:
- Educated to Degree level (or equivalent) in Electronic Engineering.
- Must have an extensive experience of digital design and implementation for data/voice communications equipment or equivalent using high speed microprocessor, memory, FPGA and CPLD components.
- Must have proven capability to design high-speed electronic equipment that is CE compliant with EMC, Safety and RoHS criteria.
- Must have excellent electronics hardware development knowledge.
- Able to carry-out development tasks of up to six months duration with very limited supervision.
- Must be familiar with high speed digital design standards and techniques.
- Must have a good understanding of requirements capture and of work package definition and estimation.
- Experience of electronics hardware development to meet UK approved TEMPEST design criteria.
- Experience of schematic capture.
- Experience of PCB layout.
- Experience of thermal analysis for electronic circuits.
- Recent experience of using one or more of the following tools:
- OrCAD Capture
- OrCAD PCB Designer
In return we can offer a great compensation package with annual profit share; a growing list of company benefits and career development options across our transnational, market leading company
This role is based at our Airbus Defence and Space offices, Newport, South Wales, and involves working within the UK Defence industry, requiring the applicant to be able to be security cleared to a UK SC level.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.