1 day left
- 25-50% Travel
The Smart Networks and Services Joint Undertaking (SNS JU) is seeking an experienced manager to lead a dynamic team of 17 people dedicated to implementing funding programmes in the area of smart networks and services in the context of the EU’s industrial and research and innovation policies.
Based in Brussels, the Director will be the public face and legal representative of the organisation and will ensure the oversight and execution of its strategic agenda.
The SNS JU is one of the European partnerships under the EU Framework Programme Horizon Europe and aims to develop European technology capacities for 6G systems as a basis for future digital services towards 2030.
The Executive Director is the chief executive responsible for the management of the Joint Undertaking.
S/he is the legal representative of the JU and takes overall responsibility for its operations including budget implementation, as well as ensuring the coordination between the different bodies and services of the SNS JU. As such, s/he will play a key role in the implementation of the objectives of the SNS JU, which are critical for Europe’s competitiveness in the field.
S/he will perform his/her tasks with independence and will be accountable to the Governing Board, which is composed of representatives of the Commission and of the private sector.
S/he will both ensure the oversight of the strategic agenda of the SNS JU as agreed with the Governing Board and assume day-to-day decision-making.
The Smart Networks and Services Joint Undertaking (SNS JU) is one of the European partnerships under Horizon Europe. It builds on two pillars: research and innovation on technologies and systems for Smart Networks and Services towards 6G, and coordination of 5G deployment actions funded by European or national funding programmes. The partnership is key to ensure European technological capacities in these areas, in line with the EU industrial strategy and the 5G cyber-security toolbox. In this context, it aims to enable European players to develop technology capacities for 6G systems as a basis for future digital services towards 2030.
Candidates should fulfil the following selection criteria:
- Ability to lead and motivate the team including administrative, financial and technical staff, in a European, multicultural and multilingual environment.
- Experience in the management of significant financial resources in a national, European and/or international environment and involving funding from public sources.
- Experience in managing research, technology development, innovation or infrastructure programs in a European or international environment, in the area of SNS or a related area.
Specialist skills and experience:
- Understanding of technology, applications as well as the industrial landscape relevant for the area of the SNS JU, including strategic, regulatory and policy matters, at national, European and international level.
- Experience in the implementation and management of Quality Assurance and Control systems as well as risk management methodologies.
- Understanding of the EU Institutions, their functioning and interaction as well as EU policies.
- Ability to communicate fluently and effectively to the internal and external stakeholders, including the public and to build effective working relations with all relevant stakeholders and to represent the SNS JU in international fora.
- Excellent skills in negotiations.
Candidates will only be considered for the selection phase on the basis of the following formal requirements to be fulfilled by the deadline for applications:
- Nationality: candidates must be a citizen of one of the Member States of the European Union.
- University degree or diploma: candidates must have:
- either a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is 4 years or more;
- or a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma and appropriate professional experience of at least 1 year when the normal period of university education is at least 3 years (this one year's professional experience cannot be included in the postgraduate professional experience required below).
- Professional experience: candidates must have at least 15 years postgraduate professional experience at a level to which the qualifications referred to above give admission. At least 5 years of that professional experience must be in the area of the activities of the Joint Undertaking.
- Management experience: at least 5 years of the post-graduate professional experience must have been gained in a high–level management function in a field relevant for this position.
- Languages: candidates must have a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the European Union and a satisfactory knowledge of another of these official languages. Selection panels will verify during the interview(s) whether candidates comply with the requirement of a satisfactory knowledge of another official EU language. This may include (part of) the interview being conducted in this other language.
- Age limit: candidates must be able to complete, at the deadline for application, the full mandate of four years before reaching the retirement age. For temporary staff of the European Union, the retirement age is defined as being the end of the month in which the person reaches the age of 66 years (see Article 47 of the Conditions of Employment of other Servants of the European Union ).
Submission deadline 18 July 2022 12:00 Brussels time